Finding Support with Chiropractic
The nervous system is the master controller of the body and is greatly affected in children with autism. In addition, the nervous system is intricately tied to the immune system and digestive system, both of which are often affected in autism spectrum disorders. Our autonomic nervous system (ANS) is divided into two divisions: the sympathetic nervous system, responsible for our “fight or flight” response and the parasympathetic nervous system, responsible for “relaxation and digestion”. Irritation to the nervous system from physical, chemical and emotional stressors early in life can result in “sympathetic dominance” – a state of being where your child is constantly in the “fight or flight” response, leading to hyperactivity, inattention, impulsivity, behavioral issues, sleep issues, sensory processing problems and many more potential symptoms. Lack of the parasympathetic response can also lead to depressed digestive and immune systems, resulting in bowel / bladder issues, improper digestion, predisposition to illness, autoimmune responses by the body and many other potential symptoms.
How Chiropractic Can Help:
– Chiropractors understand that the spine is a gateway which allows for proper communication between brain and body.
– By correcting subluxations your chiropractor will help restore balance to the nervous system and begin to activate the parasympathetic response in favor of sympathetic dominance.
– Reducing sympathetic dominance can help reduce behavior related symptoms while simultaneously increasing digestive and immune function through increased activity of the parasympathetic nervous system.
– Chiropractic can prevent or minimize biomechanical degeneration and discomforts associated with postural dysfunction and repetitive traumas / motions from stimming or self injurious behavior.
Children have tremendous neuroplasticity; the earlier nervous system balance is achieved the greater their ability to “re-wire” their interaction with their environment. By clearing patterns of vertebral subluxation, your pediatric chiropractic can help your child’s nervous system stay in a balanced state, which can break the cycle of neurological stress, chronic illness and digestive upset.
A Wellness Approach
It’s important to understand that chiropractic itself is not a “cure” for autism. Chiropractors are there to help ensure proper function of the spine and freedom for your child’s nervous system to operate properly, which can improve undesired symptoms associated with autism, especially when combined with other lifestyle wellness strategies.
Support ASD with a Healthy Lifestyle:
– Regular spinal check ups
– Movement and exercise
– Rule out food allergies and intolerances (casein and gluten free diets)
– Choose organic and chemical free food
– Reduce sugar and dairy intake
– Choose natural household and cleaning products
– Test drinking water and use appropriate filtration
– Utilize detoxification methods as recommended by your natural health practitioner
– Probiotics and fermented foods to repair gut health
– Omega 3 Fatty acid supplements
– Find a Supportive team of health professionals who believe in your child’s potential for exceptional health!
“You have got to keep autistic children engaged with the world. You cannot let them tune out.” – Temple Grandin, Ph.D
Drs. Chad and Megan Mykietiuk have advanced training in pediatrics through the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association, and have helped many families find effective support for children and families affected by ASD through chiropractic and lifestyle modifications! We can’t wait to support your family on their journey through natural and effective healthcare to greater happiness and vitality!