Breathing Easier with Chiropractic
Asthma is a growing issue in today’s world, especially among children, with 1 in 12 people affected, a number on the rise in recent years. Causative factors of asthma in our children are varied and standards of treatment are often reliant on medication and avoidance of aggravating locations and activities. For those parents who want their children to be able to engage in all the activities they enjoy without reliance on puffers and other pharmaceuticals, hope may still exist in the form of natural options. Many families enjoy a reduction in symptoms of asthma while under regular chiropractic care due to the benefits of a nervous system which is free from stress. Chiropractic is not a specific treatment of asthma, but rather spinal subluxations. Chiropractors are trained to detect and correct areas of spinal subluxations which can impede the nervous system communication and your child’s propensity for expression of health. When your child’s nervous system is able to function as intended, your child’s body is more likely to exhibit proper control in regulating breathing and reducing inflammation.
Three explanations for nervous system involvement in asthma:
1. The phrenic nerve is formed from nerve roots in the cervical spine (neck) and provides nerve supply to the diaphragm, the primary muscles used in breathing. Misalignments in the cervical spine may compromise diaphragm function.
2. There are several accessory breathing muscles which are innervated from nerve supply in the cervical and thoracic spine which can be impeded by spinal misalignments.
3. The vagus nerve is a cranial nerve which passes closely to the cervical spine and supplies the heart, lungs, upper digestive tract and also inhibits inflammation and stress in the body by regulating and providing support to Th1 immunity (rather than Th2 dominance in chronic inflammatory disorders).
It’s important to understand that Chiropractic itself is not a cure or treatment for asthma or other respiratory difficulties. Chiropractic enhances your child’s ability to heal by ensuring proper function of the spine and nervous system. As a result, improvement in symptoms of asthma are often seen. Your family chiropractor will also advise you on other strategies to improve your child’s expression of health such as dietary modifications, essential supplementation, exercise habits and posture.
Regulate Breathing, Reduce Inflammation & Boost Your Child’s Immune System:
– Have your child evaluated by a pediatric chiropractor.
– Rule out possible food allergies by eliminating dairy, gluten, corn and soy from your child’s diet.
– Focus on organic and natural food choices that are free of preservatives, dyes, chemical pesticides, artificial sweeteners and additives.
– Reduce sugars as much as possible from your child’s diet, as sugar feeds the sympathetic nervous system.
– Use only natural cleaning products and natural toiletries in your home.
– Have your water tested and filter out any contaminants found.
– Ask your trusted healthcare provider to recommend proper supplementation, which may include fish oils, vitamin D, probiotics, multivitamins and antioxidants.
– Incorporate Massage and Postural Awareness Exercises.
Drs. Chad and Megan Mykietiuk have advanced training in pediatrics through the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association, and have helped many families find symptomatic relief and proper function through chiropractic and lifestyle modifications! We can’t wait to support your family on their journey through natural and effective healthcare to greater happiness and vitality!