What are the benefits of chiropractic prior to pregnancy?
– Promotes regular menstrual cycles
– Optimal uterine function
– Prepares body for healthy implantation
– Ensures proper nerve supply to reproductive organs
Is chiropractic safe for pregnant women?
– Chiropractic is a non-invasive, drug-free discipline meaning that the risks associated with it are very low. Adverse events are very rare and the chiropractors at Village Wellness will assess you individually for any risks before commencing care.
– At Village Wellness we use special techniques and table modifications to avoid unnecessary pressure on the abdomen, or twisting of the abdomen to meet the comfort and needs of an expecting mom.
Can chiropractic help turn a breech baby?
– yes, there is a specific technique known as the “Webster Technique” which has been shown to allow for optimal fetal positioning during pregnancy. A research study in 2002 showed a reported 92% success rate of babies turning to a vertex position following use of the Webster Technique by a chiropractor. The study also suggests that the Webster Technique may be beneficial to use in the 8th month of pregnancy when breech presentation is unlikely to spontaneously change and when external cephalic version technique is not effective.
How often should I see my Chiropractor during my pregnancy?
– It is recommended that pregnant women receive chiropractic care throughout pregnancy to achieve pelvic balance, giving babies a better chance of moving into a correct position for birth and avoiding potential posterior or breech positions, and to maintain comfort as baby grows. Optimal baby position at the time of birth also results in an easier labour and thus safer delivery for both mother and baby. We recommend that your chiropractic wellness visits throughout your pregnancy follow the same schedule as your visits with your Midwife/MD: every 4 weeks up to 30 weeks, every 2 weeks up to 36 weeks and every week from 36 weeks until delivery. Of course this frequency may increase at times of crisis: pubic symphysis pain, round ligament pain, sciatic flare ups, malposition of baby etc